What are reimbursements?
When an employee pays a work-related expense of their own pocket - i.e. for a meal on a work trip or for office supplies - getting them reimbursed can be a headache of paper receipts and manual approvals. This is where Roger's reimbursements features comes to the rescue.
How do reimbursements work in Roger?
Employees can easily create and manage expense reports, add receipts for their expenses, as well as submit them for reimbursement - all from their Reimbursements page in their Roger account.
The employee can then submit the expense report they've created, and it will generate a bill in the company's Roger inbox. The bill can trigger workflows, as well as be approved and paid just like any other Roger bill, as if the employee were a vendor.
Each receipt included in an employee's expense report will appear as a line on the final bill in the company's inbox with a corresponding amount and category. Similarly, an entry will be created for each line in the connected accounting software. Here, in addition, a combined payment entry will be created when the expense report has been paid.
- Note: the bill generated from an expense report will automatically have a due date equal to the date the employee submits the report.
How to add reimbursement expenses in Roger
In Rogers web app:
1. Click Reimbursements in the left-side menu. The first time you click here, you'll be asked to enter your bank information, which is the account to which your company will deposit your reimbursements via ACH.
- If you have already entered these in Settings > Bank Information, you will be taken directly to your expense reports.
2. Now you'll create an expense report. You can have as many expense reports active as you want - for example, if you have a number of expenses related to customer meetings during July 2020, as well as an ongoing report related to purchasing office supplies.
First, name the expense report, and click Create to continue.
3. Now you'll be inside the expense report (which can also be accessed from your main Reimbursements page). Add receipts for your expense to the report by clicking Add a Receipt.
- An expense report can either be open or closed depending on whether it has been submitted or not. The top right indicates whether the report is open or closed.
- From the Properties tab, you can specify whether an expense report is ongoing or should be closed after submitting. If ongoing, you'll be able to keep adding receipts even after submitting earlier rounds of the expense report.
4. You'll be prompted to upload a copy of your receipt from your computer. Once you've found it and added it to the report, it will be analyzed by Roger like any other expense, and will appear in the summary of the expense report (just like a receipt in the company's inbox). You'll have the option to select a category for the receipt, as well as add a note.
- Administrators in Roger can choose whether or not coworker expenses must have categories selected before submitting. This can be selected under Settings > Advanced > Reimbursements.
5. As soon as you're ready to be reimbursed for the expense(s) you've added to your expense report, click Submit Expense Report in the top right corner. This will open a window that shows an overview of the report's contents, and you can choose to add a note to the bill for the company. Click Approve and submit posting report to continue, and the report will be added as a bill in the company's inbox.
6. You will now see a confirmation that the expense report has been submitted. After that, it will be visible as a bill in the company's inbox, where it will await approval based on the company's workflow rules. The due date of the bill will automatically be set to the date the expense report is submitted.
- Read more about what other options you have for setting your expenses and reports here.
Reimbursements from Roger's mobile app:
Note: In order to add expense reports on Roger's mobile app, you must first have added your bank account information under Settings > Bank information in Roger's web app.
1. Open the side menu, and click Reimbursements.
2. You will now be taken to the overview of your expense reports (this page will be blank if you haven't yet added any expenses). Click Create New Expense Report to create a new report, or select an existing expense report to add your receipt to:
3. You'll be prompted to select certain information for the expense report - i.e. a name and what currency should be used for the report. If you enable Ongoing Report, the report will remain open even after you submit it. Otherwise, the report will automatically close once you submit it.
Click Create Expense Report to continue.
4. You will now be taken to the expense report, where you can add new expenses and view existing expenses.
Click + to add an expense. This will open the camera on your phone so you can quickly take a picture of the receipt for the expense.
5. Once you've taken a photo of the receipt, you'll be prompted to select a category for the expense. You will then be forwarded to the expense report while the receipt is being analyzed by Roger.
- Only in Roger's web app: Administrators in Roger can choose whether or not coworker expenses must have categories selected before submitting. This can be selected under Settings > Advanced > Reimbursements.
6. You can now view the expense in the expense report and freely add as many expenses as you wish by clicking +. When you want to submit the report for reimbursement/payment, click File Report in the upper right corner.
7. You must now confirm the submission of the report. At the same time, you will see an overview of the receipts in the report and its total amount. You can also add a note to the report, which will appear on the final bill in your company's inbox.
Click File Expense Report to complete the submission.
8. You will now see a message that finally confirms that the report has been submitted and that it will be paid to your bank account once it is approved in the company's inbox.
- If you want to access submitted / closed reports and make other settings for your reports, you must visit the Reimbursements page via the Roger web app.
You can read more about the different settings for your expense reports here.