Note: Workflow rules can only be set up in Roger's web app, but will apply to your Roger account on all platforms.
What is Roger Workflow?
Workflow is a game-changing automation feature that lets you, your clients, and your coworkers perform a wide range of accounting actions on bills that meet certain criteria. You can compose and program exactly the customized actions you need to perform with an easy-to-use rule creator.
When a bill or a receipt is submitted that meets the "trigger" criteria of a workflow rule, the rule will be activated and Roger will automatically perform the specified actions.
Setting up a workflow
Click Workflows from the left hand menu to view existing rules (and create new ones)
When creating a new workflow rule, you'll first select at least one one "trigger," or bit of criteria contained in the document that will activate a desired workflow. This capability is made possible by the intelligent scanning engine that has already read the data off of every expense uploaded to Roger.
You must then select the automated actions you wish to perform on the expense using the dropdown menu. If you wish to add more automated actions, simply click the "+" that becomes visible after you have defined one automated action.
Learn more about creating workflow rules (and view examples) in this article.
Which actions can be automated with Workflow?
At the time of writing, Roger Workflow supports the following automated actions for expenses:
- Require approval from - Select one or more a coworkers whose approval is required in order for a bill to be paid. You can specify that any, all or at least a certain number of the coworkers listed must approve the bill.
- Select bank account as payment method for the expense Automatic selection of a specified bank account as payment method for these bills.
- Select category for the expense Automatic selection of specified category/expense account for the expense.
- Select department for the expense Automatic selection of department associated with the expense.
- Disable Autopay for the expense This will force coworkers to manually click 'Pay now' to initiate payment of the expense when it has been submitted. If this workflow is activated, the expense will will not be paid automatically. This action will not affect the Autopay settings for other expenses (see Settings > Advanced > Payments).
- Lock expense This will prevent other coworkers from editing the details of the expense - as long as the expense remains locked. Only admins can unlock the expense and thereby enable editing of its details.
- Delete expense This will delete the expense as soon as it has been analyzed by Roger.
- Mark the expense as paid This will mark the expense as paid and thereby prevent Roger from initializing a payment for the expense. The expense will be moved to the 'Paid' tab in the dashboard, and a vendor payment entry will potentially be created in any integration. But no payment will be made in Roger.
- Add note This will add a custom text to the note field on the expense that will also be synced to any integrations.
- Add a label from a custom list If you've created a custom list in Roger under Lists, you can automatically add labels from those lists to any bill or receipt through this workflow action.
- Disable synchronization of invoice This will prevent Roger from automatically creating a new invoice entry in your ERP system when an expense activates this rule.
- Disable synchronization of payment This will prevent Roger from automatically creating a payment entry in your ERP system when an expense activates this rule.
This list will continuously be updated as more options become available in Roger Workflow.