When a document is added to your company account, it will often require the approval of one or more coworkers in the company before proceeding for payment, or other actions. A document will not require approval if:
- ...you or a coworker have set up a rule that does not require approval for selected expenses.
- ...an expense has been added by a coworker who has the permission to add expenses without requiring any approval.
A coworker can be authorized (or "appointed") to approve or decline an expense in any of the following ways:
- ...the employee has been manually appointed as the approver by another coworker, or has been automatically appointed by a rule;
- ...the box This employee can always approve/reject all expenses within the coworker's permissions is checked;
- ...the employee is appointed as the company account's default approver.
Expenses pending approval are visible under the Pending tab:
A document can be approved by simply clicking the Approve button on the document's overview in the Expenses dashboard. The following window will appear, where the coworker must confirm their approval:
- If you wish to remove this extra approval confirmation level, you can easily do so by by clicking Approve, and then checking the Don't ask again box. This will turn on the 1-click Authentication option, which can always be turned off under Settings > Advanced > Workflow.
A document can be declined by clicking the Decline button on the document's overview in the Expenses dashboard. The following window will appear, where the coworker must confirm their rejection, as well as provide a reason for rejecting it:
When a document has been rejected, it will remain under the Pending tab, and the reason for the rejection will be visible under the expense's activity overview:
After a document is declined, the following actions may need to be performed:
- Correct the reason for rejection by editing the document details, such as amount, due date, payment source, etc.
- Manually select one or more new coworkers to approve the document. Please note that in this case, the Manual appointing: require all approvals option must be enabled under Settings > Advanced > Workflow.
- Any coworker with the appropriate permissions can approve the document themselves.
- The document can be deleted.